Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My First Homebrew: Bison Respect



BISON RESPECT August 17, 2008

This was my first attempt at homebrewing, so the recipe is rather basic. I was aiming for an American-style ale, and after all the reading I had done, I was really interested in using honey in a recipe. This being my first brew, I took very good notes on procedure and varying conditions while the beer fermented. As a side note, I just want to point out that I use Publix or Zephyrhills brand spring water in all of my recipes.

  • 4.5 Gallons Water
  • 5 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract
  • 8 oz. 20L Crystal Malt
  • 1lb. Clover Honey
  • 1.5 oz. Vangaurd leaf hops @15 mins.
  • 0.5 oz Vangaurd leaf hops @ 2 days before bottling (dry hop)
  • Safale US-05 dry ale yeast
  • 3/4 cup Dextrose (priming)

The crystal malt was steeped at 150-160 F for 30 mins. The malt extract and honey were added and boiled for another 30 mins. Hops were added 15 mins till the end of the boil. The wort was chilled using an ice bath in the sink.

I was able to maintain a fermentation temperature of 71-73 F and bottled on Day 9. I tried a bottle after 7 days of conditioning, and wasn't sure what to make of it. I think the honey added a slight tang to the beer which I perceived as bacterial contamination at first. It actually turned out to be a really good first beer, and to this day remains a favorite of some of my official taste-testers (those who actually know what good beer is).

No comments:

Post a Comment