Thursday, August 20, 2009

Homebrew #9: Oktoberfest Ale

OKTOBERFEST ALE
April 5, 2009

At this point I had stopped giving any attention to the creation and design of labels and tried to focus solely on the beer. Not having the ability to produce lagering temperatures, yet still craving a really good German/Vienna Marzen/Oktoberfest style beer, I had decided to make an ale version and use WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast since I had gotten such good results before. This was also the debut of the 6-gallon Better Bottle fermenter, allowing me to produce a slightly larger batch without having to worry about oxidation or contamination. The batch ended up turning out pretty good, not quite what I was looking for, but good nonetheless. Now that I look back at the recipe, I don't know why I didn't add more specialty malts like Munich or maybe a touch of Chocolate malt. Also, I don't think it helped that the temperature outside was beginning to rise and that made it difficult to keep the fermentation temperature below 74 F.

  • 6 Gal. Water
  • 7 lb. Light LME
  • 2 lb. Light DME
  • 1.25 lb. Vienna Malt
  • 0.5 lb. 40L Crystal Malt
  • 1 tsp. Irish Moss
  • 0.5 oz. Saaz pellet hops @ 60 mins.
  • 0.5 oz. Hallertau pellet hops @ 60 mins.
  • 1 0z. Hallertau pellet hops @ 5 mins.
  • 0.5 oz. Saaz @ 0 mins.
  • 0.5 oz Hallertua @ 0 mins.
  • WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast

The specialty malt was gradually steepd up to 170 F for 40 mins. Full 60 min. boil for extract. Transferred to secondary on Day 14. Bottled on Day 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment