Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Homebrew #4: Bubblin Dublin



BUBBLIN DUBLIN October 24, 2008

This is where I make the leap from making an ok beer to making really good beers. This one turned out way better than I had expected. The inspiration came from my trip to Europe the summer before when I had tasted my first REAL Guinness in London. I believe the recipe is based off of a Guinness clone recipe found in the Homebrewing for Dummies manual, I just kicked up the malt bill some for a higher ABV. I brewed this batch simultaneously with my next batch, an Imperial Porter, since a lot of the ingredients were similar. Note: Brewing two 5-gallon batches of beer on the same day is not a practice I would recommend to someone this early in their brewing career.

  • 5 Gal. Water
  • 7 lb. Amber Malt Extract
  • 2 lb. Dark DME
  • 10 oz. 80L Crystal Malt
  • 10 oz. Black Patent Malt
  • 4 oz. Chocolate Malt
  • 4 oz. Roasted Barley
  • 2 oz. Willamette hop pellets @ 60 mins.
  • 1 oz. Willamette hop pellets @ 10 mins.
  • Safale US-05 dry yeast
  • 1 cup dextrose (priming)

Steeped grains @ 160 F for 20 mins. Full 60 min. boil. Fermented in 7.5 gallon bucket. Transferred to secondary fermentation on Day 15. Bottled on Day 22. As I had mentioned before, it seems I had done everything right with this batch. It poured beautifully and the natural carbonation mimicked the nitrogen head pour you get from a real Guinness. Very nice toastiness, not too bitter, lingering chocolate notes, and a very crisp, dry finish. I only pray when I try to duplicate this recipe that it turns out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment