Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Homebrew #5: Elf Elixir



ELF ELIXIR October 24, 2008

Since I was already brewing an Irish Stout, I decided to go ahead and take a shot at an Imperial Porter since the two shared a lot of common ingredients; that and I was looking to make a beer even hoppier than my previous attempts. As with the stout, this batch surprised me as well. It was amazingly similar to one of the best known Imperial Stouts made in the U.S., Old Rasputin made by North Coast Brewing. I do realize that both my stout and porter recipes are very similar, with the porter recipe just being a boosted version, but I didn't think there was an enormous difference between an Imperial Stout and an Imperial Porter. Please feel free to enlighten me on the difference if you are truly offended.

  • 5 Gal. Water
  • 10 lb. 2 oz. Amber Malt Extract
  • 3 lb. Dark DME
  • 14 oz. 80L Crystal Malt
  • 14 oz. Black Patent Malt
  • 12 oz. Chocolate Malt
  • 12 oz. Roasted Barley
  • 1/3 cup Dark Molasses
  • 3 oz. Galena pellet hops @ 60 mins.
  • 2 oz. Galena pellet hops @ 10 mins.
  • 1 oz. Galena pellet hops @ 13 days till bottling
  • 1 oz. Wilamette pellet hops @ 8 days till bottling
  • Dry Yeast- Champagne Lalvin-EC-1118

Grains steeped at 160 F for 30 mins. Extract boil for 60 mins. Transferred to glass secondary on Day 13. Molasses (10 min. boil w/ 1 cup water) added on Day 15. Bottled Day 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment