Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Homebrew #2: Beachveiser



BEACHVEISER August 30, 2008

For this beer I had decided to try a kit that I had purchased at the same time as all the ingredients used in my first batch. I was using Brewers Best recipe for a Continental Pilsner. The kit came with 2 oz. of hops, and being somewhat of a hophead, disregarded the style and decided that 2 oz. just wasn't near enough, so I added an extra 3 oz. to the recipe. And due to the success of using honey in the first batch, I decided to go ahead and use some again. And for some unknown reason I decided to add some maple syrup in the middle of the fermentation to add flavor; I must have read it somewhere.

  • 5 Gal. Water
  • 3.3 lbs. Light LME
  • 2 lbs. Light DME
  • 12 oz. Crushed Dextrine Malt
  • 1.5 lbs. Honey
  • 12.5 oz. Maple Syrup
  • 1 oz. Sterling Hops @ 60 mins
  • 1 oz. Cascade Hops @ 15 mins
  • 1 oz. Saaz Hops @ 8 days till bottling
  • 1 oz. Cascade Hops @ 6 days till bottling
  • 3/4 cup Dextrose (priming)
  • Dry ale yeast

Grains steeped at 160-170 F for 20 mins. Honey and malt extract added and boiled for 60 mins. Added maple syrup on Day 3. Fermentation finished after Day 6 and transferred to secondary fermenter. Bottled on Day 14. Once again I was surprised with the outcome. Personally I preferred this beer to my first batch, probably due to the well balanced hoppiness. Not at all a Continental Pilsner, but a really good beer nonetheless. A friend and I shared 3 liters of this beer while watching the Florida Gators lose to Ole Miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment