Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Homebrew #13: Oktoberfest

OKTOBERFEST
August 22, 2009

This is my first real attempt at making a true lager, and what better style to tackle than an Oktoberfest/Marzen. My first Oktoberfest recipe back in April was really an ale, but since the purchase of a 3.9 cu ft mini-fridge in August, I now have the ability to properly store and age a lager. This opens a whole new world of possibilities with my brewing, especially the ability to brew a very crisp, clean beer. This beer is currently in it's second week of fermentation, and because of the extended time required to age lagers in cold storage, it may not be ready for another 4-6 weeks; probably the longest 4-6 weeks of my life.

  • 5 lbs. Light LME
  • 2 lbs. Pilsner Malt
  • 2 lbs. Munich Malt
  • 0.25 lbs. Cara-Munich Malt
  • 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt
  • 1 oz. Tettnanger hops @ 60 mins.
  • 1 oz. Hallertau hops @ 10 mins.
  • 1 oz. Hallertau hops @ 0 mins.
  • 2 tsp. Irish Moss
  • SafLager S-23 dry yeast

Step infusion mash up to 145F for 30 mins, hold for 15 mins. then @155F for 15 mins. Full 60 min boil. Wort chilled to 60F, yeast added, then brought down to 48F for fermentation. Diacetyl rest on Day 13, transferred to Secondary on Day 16. Temperature lowered to 40F over 4 day period.

1 comment:

  1. I have been fortunate to have sampeled your previous brews and must say I have been pleasantly surprised at here quality considering you are to my knowledge comparitively new too brewing. With your success to date I would expect more excellent types of brews in the future and hope I continue to be one of your unofficial tasters. Continued good luck in your chosen avoccation. Sal

    ReplyDelete